Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Birth of a Career

When I turned 15, all I thought about was getting a job. I guess the independence bug bit me early. I was 15 1/2, when I received an invite to my first big dance. I was desperate to get a "very special dress." So ingenuity sent me into the supermarket down the street from my high school, were I applied for a job in the bakery department. Oddly enough I got the job, though they knew full well I wasn't 16, as I had stated on my application. My Mom wasn't too happy, but my Dad was quite impressed with my perseverance. It was a great job, and I was in love. not with a boy, but an industry. The dance thing,... well as it turned out, I had bought a sewing machine instead of a dress, and ended up working on the day of the big event!

About a year passed. The ladder of advancement was tempting me. I wanted to work in the deli department where I could get more hours, and make more money. The owner of the store saw me eating a sandwich one Saturday afternoon, and asked if I would like to work in a different department. When he told me they were going to have an opening in the deli, I literally choked. Seriously, he had to pat me on the back, and hand me my soda! I laughed, and he looked at me somewhat puzzled. "You read my mind!" I blurted out. As I explained further, he put his hand on my shoulder and said, " You are one determined gal." Two weeks later I was slicing meat.

Decades ago sexual harassment was never even a topic, let alone a law. I worked long hours, for a boss that drank, rather than supervise. Fortunately he was having a fling with another employee, so I was pretty much out of the line of fire. Then she quit, and I became the target. Since I had grown up with 2 relentless older brothers, I suppose there where many who thought of me as feisty. So when the time came to fight back, I defensively unloaded a dozen eggs, zeroing in on his crotch. 10 out of 12 direct hits was impressive, and from that day on, he never said a word about it. Though the next day his brother, who owned the store, came up to me and said, " You're OK kid." I thought he was complementing me on my pitching skills, never thinking twice that he was thanking me for my tolerance.

Needless to say it was time to move on. My Dad helped me devise a job hunting plan. He suggested I write my name and phone number on an index card, along with a few sentences about previous work, and one sentence defining my 5 year goal. Goals? I was 19, and never thought more than a month ahead. But his advice gave me a path to follow, and a lot of food for thought. I then went to the chain stores that were close by, asking if they had any openings. If they didn't I politely asked if they would keep my card on file. My Dad's strategy paid off. I had a new Full Time job in less than three weeks right up the block at a brand new store. Father certainly knew his stuff!

I stayed with that chain of stores for close to 10 years, and it was one of the happiest times of my career. Moving up the ranks, gave me a much needed confidence in my abilities in the workforce. I knew I was good at what I loved, and this is where I belonged. Little did I know how different my future would be...a career in the corporate world would prove to be far more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment