Thursday, September 2, 2010

When It Rains It Pours

The rain slashing against my windows woke me this morning.
Rain is one of those natural details that has two functions.
It can harm, but it is an essential part of the cycle of life.
In one short day, I was blessed to see both sides of rain's persona.

In 1996 rain flooded my town.
The bridges and roads were buried under water.
Many could not get to their jobs, and just turned around for home,
to face the task of cleaning a flooded basements.
I remember trying to drive to the main YMCA,
to get the kids to day camp, then on to work.
No such luck... the roads were flooded.
So we decided to stop at the bagel shop, then head home.
As we walked in, I noticed an elderly couple sitting on the curb.
On leaving the store, I asked if they were alright..
"Not at all," they said with tired voices.
"We took our granddaughter to the airport,
And have been up all night.
Then the highway shut down.
Many people gave us many directions.
We really don't even know where we are!
Or how we are ever going to find our way home."
So, I said. " Hop in the truck, and come home with us."
They looked at me like I was altogether half-baked.
"Listen," I said calmly,"this may last all day,
and I only live a few miles from here.
You can rest, call family, have some coffee and food.
Then when the roads open,
and we've pointed you in the right direction,
I'll bring you back here to your car. Sound good.?"
Nodding yes and smiling, we helped them into my Suburban.
During the few minutes drive to my home, they kept thanking us.
At home we settled them into recliners with blankets.
The gentleman fell asleep within minutes.
The woman called some friends, relaying her adventure thus far.
I made a pot of coffee, and the kids hot chocolate.
When my husband walked in the door,
He just shook his head and smiled, as our adventure was revealed.
We got out a map, to give our adopted friends.
Then mapped out some alternate routes to give them.
As the hours passed, calls were made and naps taken,
They were anxious to get on the road.
I handed them a box with sandwiches, and munchies.
They asked. " What do we owe you?"
I laughed and said," Look at my children.
You have allowed them to experience the meaning of kindness.
Up front and in person. I thank you for that."
They gave us all hugs, and we exchanged addresses.
My husband helped them out to our truck,
Reviewing directions all the while.
We stood on the porch, as they grinned, and waved goodbye.
Instantly, the kids asked when we could go visit them.
"Sometime after the weather improves." I laughed.
We never saw them again,
Only exchanged a Christmas card.
But often as it rains, I look back on that day.
It was a time when rain brought devastation.
For many of our close neighbors.
Fortunately for us, there was no flooded basement.
But it gave our family a chance to show our children,
how to open their hearts and practice kindness.
Especially when others are unaware they may need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment