Monday, October 11, 2010

Cleaning Out the Attic

“Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” –Ann Landers

When I read this today, it really stuck a chord.
Though I have heard it a few times,
it still never sang the same note in my soul. 
Divorces, loss of a job, living with a health problem.
A lengthy list of the causalities of what molds my life. 
The awareness of these resentments, annoys me.
I wish they would go live somewhere else,
and mess with someone else's head.

 I need to begin the journey of going through my life moments,
and reflecting on those that have damaged my pysche.
Reviewing which ones I can move away from,
and which I just need to turn over to God.
Some are just harder than most to pack away.


I think my thoughts will be calmer now, 
after I clean out the attic,
Maybe writing about them, a little at a time,
will help others who have lived with similar torments.
I don't expect to forget all the casualties of my wrong turns,
or those made by others.
I believe there is a vast river that flows in all of us.
If we empty our pain into it, our lives will go on.
Forgiving myself,  yourself, and others, 
can only help send the hidden hurts downstream.


Forgiveness is not about granting a wonderful gift to someone who did you wrong, sometimes it's about your own peace of mind; it's about not blocking your blessings with resentment; It's about you and reaching your highest Self!  (D.L. Knight)


NOTE: (This post is not referring to any one person,
or situation in particular.)

2 comments:

  1. So true! What gets me on the right path, clears the head, is from the Bible - "Lord forgive them for they know not what they do". Regardless the situation, I find solace in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very good sentiments, thanks for sharing them.
    I've been reading through your blog and I find some of your posts very moving.
    It's difficult for me to find the words to comment on circumstances that are very personal to you, but you've certainly made me think about life. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete